Keep Lee Plastic Free!
Stop using plastic bags to dispose of yard waste! Put it in paper bags or waste cans instead.
Yard waste in paper bags or waste cans can easily be turned into mulch or compost that decomposes, preserving the environment and reducing the need for landfill space. Plus, it helps us make mulch available for free at five locations across Lee County.
About 92 percent of Lee County residents put their yard waste in paper bags or waste cans. Join them!
Workers have to separate yard waste in plastic bags from the rest of the incoming yard waste and dispose of it as trash. In 2018, 10,000 tons of yard waste was placed in plastic bags for collection making the contents unusable.
Why paper bags?
- They're biodegradable.
- They're compatible with mulch and compost production.
- They allow the contents inside to be repurposed rather than trashed.
Why waste cans?
- They can be reused over and over. No need to collect bags.
- They're roomy and can keep a lot of waste in one spot.
- They're fast and convenient. Workers just empty them and move on.
Paper bags are widely available at local home improvement and hardware stores.
Any Questions? Call us at 239-533-8000.
Make the switch today!