Address: 10500/10550 Buckingham Rd, Fort Myers, FL 33905
Hours of Operation:
- Monday - Wednesday 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Thursday and Friday 6:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday 6:30 a.m.-noon
- For your safety, we ask you to follow these SITE RULES while on campus.
Updated payment procedures:
- As a safety pBrecaution, cash payments are discouraged at any of the Solid Waste facilities. Please be prepared to use a credit or debit card for payment.
A note regarding hand unloading:
- Must be in the gate 30 minutes prior to closing.
- Customers remaining in the unloading areas after the posted closing time are subject to a $10.00 fee for every 5 minutes the facility must remain open.
***Please Note: Garbage and debris generated outside of Lee County is not accepted at Lee County facilities.***
Lee County operates an Integrated Solid Waste Management system, meaning all parts of the system function cooperatively to gather the most value from the waste stream by recycling or recovering material before final disposal.
Many of these functions take place at the Solid Waste Resource Recovery Facility in Buckingham. In this park-like setting in East Lee County, there are several facilities that handle different parts of the waste stream.
- Recyclable materials are sorted and baled for secondary markets in the Material Recovery Facility (MRF).
- Construction and Demolition Debris (C & D) is recycled to recover reusable materials such as concrete, plastics and wood.
- Yard Waste (HORT) is deposited before being ground for use as mulch or compost.
- Household garbage is brought to the Waste-to-Energy facility (WTE) for combustion.
- A residents' drop-off area is available for convenient waste disposal.
Everything that comes on campus is weighed in at the Scale House and documented to ensure proper disposal and accurate reporting to regulatory agencies.
Approximately 2,000 visitors tour the campus annually.
If you have a group that would like a tour, please call one of our friendly customer service representatives at 239-533-8000.