Q: When can I set out my trash and recycle?
A: Trash and recycle containers must be out at the curb by 6:30 a.m. the day of collection. Containers should not be put out more than 24 hours before collection or remain at the curb longer than 48 hours after collection.

Q: What size garbage container is needed for curbside collection service?
If you don’t have a garbage can provided to you by your garbage hauling company, you will need to purchase your own container no larger than 40 gallons each with a weather tight lid and handles. You may also place your garbage at curb in garbage bags.

Q: What do I do if all my trash won’t fit in my trash can?
A: Additional waste can be put in heavyweight plastic trash bags, tied closed and set at the curb next to the other trash containers.

Q: Can I put household chemicals into the trash can or recycling bin?
A: No! Proper disposal of chemicals marked flammable, hazardous, caustic, etc. is essential to protect people and the environment. Those materials are accepted at the Topaz Court Solid Waste Annex.

Q: What do I do with old electronics?
A: Electronics can be set at the curb with your regular household garbage. They will be tagged for collection the following day.

Q: What do I do with old car tires?
A: You can place two regular car tires (with rims) per week with your regular household garbage. Larger tires need to be taken to the Resource Recovery Facility in Buckingham for disposal.

Q: How do I get rid of old medicine and sharps?
A: The Lee County Sherriff’s Office will accept old medicines. Please call them at 239-477-1000 or check their website. Also, many pharmacies will accept old medications. Sharps must be disposed of properly.

Q: Why is the solid waste assessment on my tax bill?
A: Section 197.3632 of the Florida Statutes provides for collection of the assessment on the non-ad valorem section of the tax bill.

Q: Disposal of dead animal carcasses?
Check with Lee County Animal Services  for proper disposal options. Their phone number is 239-533-7387.

Q: How clean do my recyclables need to be?
A: Items in your recycle cart should be clean and dry. You don't have to have it clean enough to eat from, but you also don't want to have any food residue that could contaminate the paper and cardboard items you've placed in your cart.

For other questions, please call one of our friendly customer service representatives at 239-533-8000.