Our agency employs 16 Animal Control Officers and one supervisor to handle all domestic animal-related incidents throughout all of Lee County. Field Operations provides a service to Lee County 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Conduct criminal investigations of Florida State Statutes related to domestic animals
- Assist law enforcement with felony and misdemeanor animal crimes
- Respond to police calls for emergency assistance
- Pick up stray confined or aggressive dogs
- Respond to injured/sick stray dogs and cats
- Check dog breeding for proper veterinary health certificates
- Register and inspect guard dogs
- Petition for custody where animals are in neglectful situations
- Process sworn statements and evidence from the public to pursue ordinance violations
- Investigate barking complaints (8 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday through Friday)
- Dog fighting complaints
- Animal cruelty/neglect complaints
- Unlicensed/unvaccinated dogs/cats
- Running at large, threatening and menacing offenses
- Animal hoarding
- Dog/cat bites
- Dangerous dogs and monitor compliance
- Sunday-Saturday – 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. – Full Service
- Holidays – Emergency calls only
- Late Night – 11:00 p.m. to 8 a.m. – Emergency calls only
- Animals cannot be removed from a person or property unless the animal is in distress or has caused the death or serious injury to a person, according to County Ordinance and State Law.
- Rabies follow-up after a bite is handled by the Lee County Health Department; we assist as needed.
- During a bite investigation we must identify the correct animal involved to pursue ordinance violations or a dangerous dog designation.
- Our Animal Control Officers do not have the authority to physically arrest a person involved in criminal animal cruelty. However, we work closely with all local law enforcement as we pursue these criminal charges.
- During the weekends and night shifts we have an answering service that takes our calls and will relay the emergency calls to the officers. Please call 239-533-7387, ext. 2.
- During the weekend and night shifts we have minimal staffing; depending on call volumes, delays may occur.
- Please see Ordinance & Fines for additional information.