How to Get a Library Card
If you live, work or go to school in Lee County, FL, you can get a free Lee County Library Card.
Two easy ways to get your library card:
Go to any open branch with your proof of eligibility and start borrowing items and using digital materials.
Pre-Register for a card online. With your temporary card, you can access downloadable and streaming materials. Pick up your permanent card at any branch by showing proof of eligibility.
*Library cards must be renewed in person every two years with the same documents required for a new library card.
Proof of Eligibility
Preferred - Valid, local Florida Driver’s License or Florida I.D. Card
OR, valid photo ID along with one of the following:
- Lee County property tax receipt for most recent year
- Tax STRAP number
- Proof of real property or business ownership (for example, deed, mortgage agreement, business license issued in Lee County)
- Rental agreement or lease (for at least six months)
- Valid local College/University photo ID and a document with home address
- Boat slip live aboard rental agreement (for at least six months)
- Valid Lee County, FL vehicle registration
- Voter’s registration card with Lee County address
- Utility bill or bank statement (postmarked within 90 days)
- Recent paycheck stub (from a business in Lee County)
- Work photo ID (from a business in Lee County) and official document with applicant’s current address
- Consular photo ID with Lee County address
For children and teens under age 18:
- Name ID, such as birth certificate, insurance card, school ID, official school schedule, report card or letter from school, and
- Parent or legal guardian who accompanies the child or teen shows ID for proof of address. Must owe less than $10 on their own library account
A Child/Teen Limited card, which limits check out to two items, is available with Name ID only
Non-residents and visitors may obtain a library card
Note for residents of Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hendry and Monroe Counties. You may register for a free Lee County Library System library card. The card allows you to borrow materials from all branches, download eBooks and use computers. Get more information on reciprocal borrowing.
Non-residents and Visitors
Non-residents must show identification and apply for a card in person. Library card applications cannot be submitted by fax or through the mail. Two types of cards are available:
$15 and valid for three months. Additional consecutive months can be purchased for $5 each.
$60 and valid for one year.
Additional Library Card Information
- Cards are issued at all locations in the system and can be used at all locations.
- Loss or theft of a card, as well as change of address, should be reported to the library immediately.