After reading the information below, you may register for a card online.
Library cards are issued free of charge to individuals 18 years and older who:
- Show proof of residency in Lee County
- Are employed in Lee County
- Own property or a business in Lee County
- Are students in Lee County
- Are residents of other Southwest Florida counties with libraries participating in the Reciprocal Borrowing program.
The following are acceptable proof of eligibility:
- Preferred - Valid Florida Driver’s License or Florida I.D. Card
- Lee County property tax receipt for most recent year and a photo ID such as out of state driver’s license
- Tax STRAP number and a photo ID such as out of state driver’s license (library staff need to verify the STRAP number on the Lee County Property Appraiser’s website)
- Proof of real property or business ownership (for example, deed, mortgage agreement, business license issued in Lee County) and a photo ID such as out of state driver’s license
- Rental lease (for at least six months) and a photo ID such as out of state driver’s license
- Boat slip live aboard rental agreement (for at least six months) and a photo ID such as out of state driver’s license
- Receipt for Florida auto tags and a photo ID
- Voter’s registration card with Lee County address and a photo ID
- Utility bill or bank statement (postmarked within 90 days) and a photo ID such as out of state driver’s license
- Recent paycheck stub (from a business in Lee County) and a photo ID
- Work photo ID (from a business in Lee County) and official document with applicant’s current address
- Current telephone book listing and a photo ID
- Consular photo ID with Lee County address (such as Matricula Consular)
- Valid College/University photo ID and a document with home address
Library cards with full privileges for children and teens under age 18 require:
- Name ID, such as birth certificate, insurance card, school ID, official school schedule, report card or letter from school
- Parent or legal guardian who accompanies the child or teen shows ID for proof of address and owes less than $10 on his/her own library account
- A Child/Teen Limited (CTL) card, which limits check out to two items, is available with Name ID only
Non-residents may obtain a library card for a fee:
Non-residents must show identification and apply for a card in person. Library card applications cannot be submitted by fax or through the mail. Two types of cards are available:
- Visitor Card — $15 (valid for three months) Additional consecutive months can be purchased for $5 each
- Non-resident Card — $60 (valid for one year)
Residents of participating libraries in Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Glades, Hendry, Lee and Monroe Counties may register for a free Lee County Library System library card to borrow library materials, use computers and use the Download Depot, through the Southwest Florida Library Network's Reciprocal Borrowing Program. Get more information.
- Library cards must be renewed in person every two years with the same documents required for a new library card.
- Cards are issued at all locations in the system and can be used at all locations.
- Loss or theft of a card, as well as change of address, should be reported to the library immediately.
- Regardless of where books are borrowed, they may be returned at any Lee County Library System location.
- After hours book drops are provided at most locations.