We Can't Do It Without Volunteers
Volunteers are essential to the productivity, efficiency and cost effectiveness of library services. A volunteer’s contribution to the library system goes far beyond the actual work performed.
Volunteers enhance the services the library system provides to the public. By working together, volunteers and library staff accomplish great things.
What Volunteers Do in Our Libraries
There are many types of jobs that volunteers do in our libraries like:
- Helping the public use library computers, online catalog and check-out machines,
- Inspecting, sorting and shelving materials
- Supporting English language learning
- Assisting in other library activities and functions
Due to COVID-19, the Lee County Library System is not accepting volunteer applications at this time. Any status change will be posted here. Thank you for your patience.
Volunteer for The Community Conversations Project
The Community Conversations Project trains a group of volunteers to provide library programs for older adults in assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities and adult day care centers. The project exposes elders to stimulating ideas and thoughtful discussion by offering monthly programs at each location.
Volunteers work in teams of two and are assigned to work with two to three facilities/programs. Activities might include:
- Book and short story discussions
- Readers’ Theater
- Reminiscence-based activities to uncover and share memories
- Oral history activities based on the StoryCorps model
- Adult Storytelling
- Multisensory activities using music, pictures and objects to touch, smell and taste
More details and Introduction to the Community Conversations Project (.pdf)
For additional information about becoming a Community Conversations volunteer, contact project coordinator Kathy Mayo at
The Lee County Library System has a limited number of volunteer positions. Thanks to the generosity of our community, there are times when we cannot accommodate all applications submitted.
In addition, we are unable to accept applicants from outside the United States due to restrictions set by the national organization conducting the background checks. We apologize for this inconvenience.