We Can't Do It Without Volunteers
Volunteers are essential to the productivity, efficiency and cost effectiveness of library services. Their contribution to the library system goes far beyond the actual work performed.
Volunteers enhance the services the library system provides to the public. By working together, volunteers and library staff accomplish great things.
There are many types of jobs volunteers do in our libraries like:
- Helping the public use library computers, online catalog and check-out machines
- Inspecting and sorting materials
- Supporting English language learning
- Assisting in other library activities and functions
Recruiting Student Volunteers
For students who have completed the eighth grade, are still in High School and under 18 years of age.
If you are a college student please use the adult application.
- Bonita Springs Public Library
- Student Volunteer (must be available Tuesday or Wednesday from 3 to 5 pm or 4 to 6 pm)
- Student Volunteer (must be available Saturday)
Dunbar-Jupiter Hammon Public Branch Library
- Student Volunteer (must be available Tuesday from 3 to 6 pm)
- Student Volunteer (must be available Friday from 10 am to 3 pm)
- North Fort Myers Library
- Student Volunteer (Wednesday or Thursday 10:30 am to 12:30 pm)
- Pine Island Branch Library
- Student Volunteer (days and hours vary)
Student and Summer Volunteers assist youth services and young adult staff with various activities and projects.
Reading Buddies listen to elementary age students read aloud, and encourage them through coaching. The goal is to help students build confidence and a love of reading.
Recruiting Adult Volunteers
The Lee County Library System is accepting adult volunteer applications at the following locations.
If interested - Apply Today.
Administration - Online Virtual System Wide
- Spanish Conversation Club Facilitator (Must be competent using online meeting technology)
East County Regional Library
Writing Group Leader (Tuesday evening availability)
Fort Myers Regional Library
- Craft Program Leader (Need year-round availability)
- Chess Program Leader
- Materials Handler (hours vary)
North Fort Myers Library
- Craft Program Assistant (Tuesday from 2 to 4 pm)
- Greeter (Friday from 12 to 2 pm)
- Pine Island Branch Library
- Materials Handler (Thursday 11 am to 1 pm)
Various Library Locations
- Spanish Conversation Club Facilitator (Prefer year-round availability. Evenings from 6 to 7:30 pm)
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Book Discussion Leaders read the staff-selected book, prepare the discussion questions and facilitate the conversation with community attendees.
Book Menders do minor repairs of library materials to return them to a usable condition.
Craft Program Leaders provide group instruction in a class setting using techniques, tools and supplies approved by library staff.
English Cafe Partners help new English speakers improve their speaking and understanding of the English Language.
Greeters assist those entering the library and directs them to appropriate areas and services.
Staff Support Aids provide assistance to library staff with specific projects and tasks.
Spanish Conversation Club Facilitators help Spanish language learners improve their speaking and understanding of the Spanish language through guided conversations.
Technology Guides provide one-on-one customer instruction with general computer and other electronic device assistance.
Technology Instructors provide group instruction in using the library computers, electronic resources and internet.
Writing Group Leaders will facilitate writing sessions and encourage participant discussion through an open environment for all skill levels. Prefer professional writing or writing community experience.
Limited Positions and National Restrictions
The Lee County Library System has a limited number of volunteer positions. Thanks to the generosity of our community, there are times when we cannot accommodate all applications submitted.
We are unable to accept applicants from outside the United States. We apologize for this inconvenience.