We Can't Do It Without Volunteers
Volunteers are essential to the productivity, efficiency and cost effectiveness of library services. Their contribution to the library system goes far beyond the actual work performed.
Volunteers enhance the services the library system provides to the public. By working together, volunteers and library staff accomplish great things.
There are many types of jobs volunteers do in our libraries like:
- Helping the public use library computers, online catalog and check-out machines
- Inspecting and sorting materials
- Supporting English language learning
- Assisting in other library activities and functions
Reading Festival Volunteer Recruitment Closed
Thanks to the overwhelming support of our community we are fully staffed for the 2024 Reading Festival! We look forward to seeing you at the event!
Recruiting Student Volunteers for Branches
For students who have completed the eighth grade, are still in High School and under 18 years of age.
If you are a college student please use the adult application.
Bonita Springs Public Library
- Student Volunteer (must be available Tuesday or Wednesday from 3 to 5 p.m. or 4 to 6 p.m.)
- Student Volunteer (must be available Saturday)
Dunbar-Jupiter Hammon Public Branch Library
- Student Volunteer (must be available Tuesday from 3 to 6 p.m.)
- Student Volunteer (must be available Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m.)
East County Regional Library
- Student Volunteer (days and hours vary – must have some Saturday availability)
Lakes Regional Library
- Student Volunteer (days and hours vary)
North Fort Myers Library
- Student Volunteer (must be available Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
Student and Summer Volunteers assist youth services and young adult staff with various activities and projects.
Reading Buddies listen to elementary age students read aloud, and encourage them through coaching. The goal is to help students build confidence and a love of reading.
Recruiting Adult Volunteers for Branches
The Lee County Library System is accepting adult volunteer applications at the following locations.
If interested - Apply Today.
Administration - Online Virtual System Wide
- Spanish Conversation Club Facilitator (Must be competent using online meeting technology)
Fort Myers Regional Library
North Fort Myers Library
- English Café Partner (Thursday from 10 a.m. to noon)
- Greeter (Monday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
- Materials Handler (Monday from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.)
Various Library Locations
- Spanish Conversation Club Facilitator
(Prefer year-round availability. Evenings from 6 to 7:30 p.m.)
Volunteer Position Descriptions
Book Discussion Leaders read the staff-selected book, prepare the discussion questions and facilitate the conversation with community attendees.
Book Menders do minor repairs of library materials to return them to a usable condition.
Craft Program Leaders provide group instruction in a class setting using techniques, tools and supplies approved by library staff.
English Cafe Partners help new English speakers improve their speaking and understanding of the English Language.
Greeters assist those entering the library and directs them to appropriate areas and services.
Spanish Conversation Club Facilitators help Spanish language learners improve their speaking and understanding of the Spanish language through guided conversations.
Staff Support Aids provide assistance to library staff with specific projects and tasks.
Technology Guides provide one-on-one customer instruction with general computer and other electronic device assistance.
Technology Instructors provide group instruction in using the library computers, electronic resources and internet.
Writing Group Leaders will facilitate writing sessions and encourage participant discussion through an open environment for all skill levels. Prefer professional writing or writing community experience.
Limited Positions and National Restrictions
The Lee County Library System has a limited number of volunteer positions. Thanks to the generosity of our community, there are times when we cannot accommodate all applications submitted.
We are unable to accept applicants from outside the United States. We apologize for this inconvenience.