Cengage Learning, Inc.
Gale Product and Services Agreement
Terms & Conditions
3. Intellectual Property. CL has the proprietary rights in and to the Product and Services and CL owns all, right, title, and interest thereto, including all intellectual property rights associated therewith, throughout the world. Customer shall not, by virtue of this Agreement or by virtue of its access to the Product obtain any proprietary rights in or to the Product or Services. Customer shall not use or transmit the Product or Services in any manner except as specifically authorized herein.
4. Warranties & Indemnities. Customer represents and warrants that: (i) Customer has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to grant the rights granted hereunder; and (ii) Customer shall not use the Product or Services in any manner except as expressly authorized in this Agreement. Subject to Section 768.28, Florida Statutes, to the extent allowable by law, Customer shall defend, indemnify, and hold CL and its distributors and service providers, and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents harmless against all claims, demands, suits, losses, costs, damages, and expenses that CL may sustain or incur by reason of any breach or alleged breach of the aforesaid warranties of Customer or any of Customer's other obligations under this Agreement.
5. Term and Termination. This Agreement shall commence as of the date specified in the Agreement and shall continue in full force and effect for the duration of the Term. Either party may terminate this Agreement for its convenience at any time upon providing thirty (30) calendar days' written notice to the other party, with or without cause.
6. Payments and Fees. In consideration of the Product and Services provided by CL to Customer, Customer agrees to pay the Fee provided on the Invoice, plus any applicable shipping and handling fees, service fees, and applicable taxes. Customer shall remit payment within thirty (30) days of receipt of the Invoice. Purchases are nonrefundable and cannot be exchanged. If Customer fails to make payment, CL may, without prejudice to its other rights and remedies (1) charge interest on any unpaid amounts on a daily basis from the original due date at the rate of the lesser of 1.5% per month or the maximum amount permissible by law (2) suspend or terminate Customer's (and Customer's Authorized Users') use and/or access to the Product or both (1) and (2). Customer shall reimburse CL for all reasonable expenses CL incurs in collecting past due amounts, including wire transfer fees, collection agency fees, reasonable attorneys' fees, and court costs. CL may charge a fee for reinstatement of suspended or terminated service.
7. Limited Liability. Except in cases of negligence, gross negligence, or willful misconduct, neither CL nor its suppliers, nor their respective directors, employees, officers, or representatives will be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of or inability to use the Product and Services, including but not limited to, any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential, exemplary, or punitive damages, or any lost profits, lost data, or loss of revenue. Except in cases of negligence, gross negligence, or willful misconduct, without limited the foregoing, CL's total liability will at all times be limited to the Fees paid by Customer for use of the Product and Services at issue during the immediately preceding twelve (12) month period.
8. Assignment. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their heirs, and legal representatives and permitted successors and assigns, provided that the Customer may not assign this Agreement.
9. Confidentiality. Subject to Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, the Customer shall not use itself or reveal to any person or business, confidential or proprietary information or material gained as a result of performing its obligations herein, including without limitation, the terms and conditions of this Agreement, except as may be required by any court of competent jurisdiction, governmental agency, law or regulation (in such event, the Customer shall notify CL before disclosing this Agreement). Notwithstanding the foregoing, the terms and conditions of this Agreement may be revealed by Customer as part of the normal reporting or review procedure to the Customer's accountants, auditors and legal counsel, provided such accountants, auditors, and legal counsel agree to keep such information confidential.
10. Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties relating to the subject matter of this Agreement, and supersedes all other oral or written proposals, negotiations and other communications relating thereto. In the event of a conflict between the Agreement and any Invoice, the T&Cs, or other attachment hereto, the terms and conditions of the Agreement shall prevail. No amendment of this Agreement will be effective unless it is in writing and signed by both parties. No waiver of satisfaction of a condition or noncompliance with an obligation under this Agreement will be effective unless it is in writing and signed by the party granting the waiver, and no such waiver will constitute a waiver of satisfaction of any other condition or noncompliance with any other obligation. Any terms of this Agreement that contemplate compliance or otherwise by their nature should extend after the termination of this Agreement will remain in effect until fulfilled. Except for Customer's payment obligations for the Products and Services received up to the event, neither party shall be responsible for delays or failure of performance resulting from acts beyond the reasonable control of such party, including but not limited to, acts of God, acts of terrorism, strikes, walkouts, riots, acts of war, epidemics, failure of suppliers to perform, governmental regulations, power failure(s), earthquakes and other natural disasters. The parties may sign this Agreement in several counterparts, each of which will be deemed an original but all of which together will constitute one instrument. This Agreement will be considered signed when the signature of a party is delivered by scanned image (e.g. as a "portable document format" or "PDF" file) as an attachment to electronic mail (email), and any such scanned signature is to be treated in all respects as having the same effect as an original signature, except that either party may require the exchange of original signatures.
CL specifically acknowledges its obligations to comply with Section 119.0701, Florida Statutes, with regard to public records, and shall: keep and maintain public records that ordinarily and necessarily would be required by CL in order to perform the services required under this Agreement; upon request from Customer's custodian of public records, or his/her delegate, provide the Customer with a copy of the requested records or allow the records to be inspected or copied within a reasonable time at a cost that does not exceed the cost provided in Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, or as otherwise provided by law; ensure that public records that are exempt or confidential and exempt from public records disclosure requirements are not disclosed, except as authorized by law; and meet all requirements for retaining public records and transfer, at no cost to Customer, all public records in possession of CL upon termination of this Agreement and destroy any duplicate public records that are exempt or confidential and exempt from public records disclosure requirements. All records stored electronically must be provided to Customer in a format that is compatible with Customer's information technology system.
IF CL HAS QUESTIONS REGARDING THE APPLICATION OF CHAPTER 119, FLORIDA STATUTES, AS TO CL'S DUTY TO PROVIDE PUBLIC RECORDS RELATING TO THE CONTRACT, CONTACT THE CUSTODIAN OF PUBLIC RECORDS AT 239-533-2221, 2115 SECOND STREET, FORT MYERS, FL 33901, firstname.lastname@example.org; http://www.leegov.com/publicrecords.