Although Southwest Florida basks in a subtropical climate most of the year, occasional arctic cold fronts can invade the area causing frosts and/or freezes. Damage to vegetable and citrus crops is the most common result. Contact County Extension Services for further information.
- Dress in layered clothing and wear some kind of head cover.
- Keep pets inside; when necessary walk them on the grass (not the cold sidewalk).
- Protect livestock and other animals with adequate shelter, extra feed and supplemental heat.
- Bring potted plants inside.
- Make sure fireplace flues are working properly.
- Check extension cords for breaks and/or fraying.
- Do not use charcoal or gas grills indoors. They produce deadly carbon monoxide fumes!