The time to develop and practice your emergency plan is prior to hurricane season. Some things to consider when creating your plan are:
- Know your risks.
- In which Storm Surge/Evacuation Zone do you live?
- Are you in a flood zone?
- Do you live in a mobile or manufactured home?
- What year was your house built?
- Does your house have storm shutters?
- Prepare several evacuation or sheltering options for your family.
- Shelter at home if it is safe from winds and storm surge waters.
- Shelter outside of the evacuation area, with a friend, or at a hotel.
- Go to a Public Shelter if you have no other safe place to go.
- Prepare your Emergency Supply Kit before the start of hurricane season.
- Secure items in and around your home before tropical storm force winds arrive.
- Be sure all family members know who to call or where to gather if you become separated.
- Let family and friends in other locations know your evacuation plans.
The Family Emergency Plan is a great tool to help you create a plan that is specific to your family's needs.