If you have had roof damage and are waiting for contractors, there are some steps you can take to remedy leaks.
On the Inside
- Buckets: Set up buckets under leaky areas to avoid interior puddling or flooding.
On the Outside
- Small holes: The smallest holes can be patched by covering them with roof cement.
- Plastic sheeting: This is the most temporary measure. Use roofing nails and 2x4 lumber to attach the plastic to the roof.
- Tarps: tarps are sturdier than plastic sheeting.
- Roofing paper: Known as tarpaper or roofing felt and can be found in the building materials section of home improvement stores. It is applied with roofing cement and a trowel.
- Find a reputable contractor through the National Roofing Contractor's Association. Information can be found online at www.nrca.net.