The authority was established on November 6, 2001. The purpose of this authority is to assist institutions for higher education in the construction, financing, and refinancing of projects as described below. One member shall be a trustee, director, officer or employee of an institution for higher education located in Lee County. Terms are five years.
- Full Name: Lee County Educational Facilities Authority.
- Purpose: To provide capital financing for projects as defined and described in the Higher Educational Facilities Law, Chapter 243, Part I, Florida Statutes (“Qualifying Projects”), and to foster institutions of higher education in Lee County.
- Boundaries: Lee County, and in other locations in the State of Florida as may be approved by interlocal agreement approved by Lee County.
- Services Provided: Issuance of revenue bonds to finance the cost of acquisition, construction, equipping, or rehabilitation of qualifying projects.
- Authorizing statutes and creation documents:
- Chapter 243, Part I Florida Statutes, authorizes the creation of educational facilities development authorities within the State of Florida.
- Lee Board of County Commissioners approved Resolution 01-11-01 on November 6, 2001 creating the Authority.
Thomas B. Hart, General Counsel, Educational Facilities Authority
Knott, Ebelini, Hart, P.A.
1625 Hendry Street • Third Floor
Fort Myers, Florida 33901
Governing Body Information
a. Appointing Authority: Board of County Commissioners of Lee County
b. Authority Members designated by Resolution 18-08-19
c. Registered Agent: Thamas B. Hart [address as above]
1. The Authority’s fiscal year is from October 1 to the following September 30.
2. The Authority has no taxing power. Its revenues are derived from bond issuance fees paid by project applicants. The statutory authority for these fees is Chapter 243, Part I, Florida Statutes.
The Authority and its members operate under, and are subject to the applicable “Ethics Laws” as provided by the Florida Commission on Ethics. These laws are set forth on the website of the Florida Commission on Ethics.
The Authority has no employees.
Currently no meetings are scheduled.