Lee County Domestic Animal Services is a government tax-funded, stray domestic animal control facility responsible for stray animal control services. Our shelter cares for over 10,000 animals annually.
As a stray facility, Animal Services only accepts owner-surrendered pets on a very limited basis.
Did You Adopt Your Pet from Us?
If you originally adopted your pet from us and the pet is younger than 5 years of age, in good health and temperament and deemed adoptable by Animal Services, the pet may be returned if space is available and applicable surrender fees are paid.
If you Can No Longer Keep Your Pet
Animal Services recommends the following options for owners who can no longer keep their pet:
1. Contact family, friends and co-workers who may wish to adopt your pet.
2. Try researching the following website to resolve some of the common issues that face owners needing to
surrender their pets.
3. Contact local private shelters and breed rescue groups that accept surrendered pets for assistance:
|Animal Refuge Center|
17991 Old Bayshore Rd.
North Fort Myers, FL
|Gulf Coast Humane Society|
2010 Arcadia St.
Fort Myers, FL
List of Florida Breed Rescues
4. Place an ad in your local newspaper and on reputable websites and post flyers at your veterinarian's office, groomers, pet stores and your workplace. Make sure you perform a home visit and veterinary reference check on anyone considering adopting your pet. Animal Services also recommends not giving your pet away as "free to a good home," as individuals may sell your pet for research or dog fighting. By charging an adoption fee, you give your pet a better chance at being placed into a good home.
5. If you are unable to find a loving, responsible home for your pet through the options listed above and must surrender your pet prior to Animal Services having space to accept your pet, you may wish to contact your veterinarian or one the following agencies to provide humane euthanasia services, if needed:
- Eastside Animal Hospital
Located on Palm Beach Blvd
$75 for Euthanasia Procedure; Cremation starts at $53, depending on weight and options
- Gulf Coast Humane Society
$65 for Euthanasia; Body Care costs from $25 to $235
(will only provide euthanasia services for medical reasons, not behavior reasons)
- Best Friends Animal Hospital
Located in Gateway
$108 for Euthanasia; Body Care starts at $75
- PAWS Lee County
13410 N. Cleveland Ave.
North Ft. Myers