Both the Waste-to-Energy Plant and the Materials Recycling Facility offer educational tours to groups of eight to 30 people. The tour takes about 45 minutes per facility. Groups can select to tour one or both operations. These tours are suitable for anyone age 8 or older and are a regular part of local STEM education courses. Please contact one of our friendly customer service representatives at 239-533-8000 for more information.
Want to give your group a more in-depth understanding of what happens to the material you set at the curb? Give us a call at 239-533-8000 to schedule a presentation from one of our knowledgeable Solid Waste staff.
Fun Educational Links
- A public educational campaign to promote the three R’s as they relate to plastic bags and common films and wraps used in our everyday lives.
- How2Recycle is a standardized labeling system that clearly communicates recycling instructions to the public.
- Information about food waste, tips for preventing it, recipes and more.
- Courtesy of Rechargeable Battery Corporation
- A variety of helpful hints about recycling, reusing, composting, water and energy conversation and safe cleaning supplies.
- A fun game sponsored by Keep America Beautiful and the Ad Council. Teaches anyone about the equipment necessary to sort materials in a recycling facility.
- Educational resources geared toward middle school audiences.
- A local grass-roots organization, and one of our service providers, that provides litter prevention and education along with many clean up and beautification projects around the county. They have a Youth Advisory Council that provides leadership opportunities for those students with a special interest in the environment.
- A fairly comprehensive review of lifestyle and home style changes you can make to live more sustainably.