During emergencies, persons with disabilities may seek safety in general population shelters. Here are some general guidelines.
Interacting with Persons with Disabilities:
- Many times a disability is not obvious.
- Remember, a person with a disability is a person first. Ask before you help. Do not assume they need help because they have a disability.
- Be sensitive regarding personal space and physical contact. People consider their equipment a part of their person.
- Think before you speak. Speak to the person, not the companion or aide.
- Do not approach or touch a service animal without permission.
Contact Lee County's ADA Coordinator at 239-533-2111 if you have questions or need help.