Procedure for Obtaining Swimming Pool Permits
Printable version of Procedures
Application must be made for above ground and in-ground swimming pools and spas. Plan Review fee due at submittal $50.00; Zoning Review fee is $25.00.
A compliance statement must be on plans stating design is according to the 2010 Florida Building Code and the ANSI/NSPI - 5 standard for the design, construction, and workmanship of swimming pools.
All suction inlets must be identified and noted with inlet covers that meet ANSI/ASME A112.19.8M Standards.
Each application for a swimming pool permit will have to detail the barrier requirements to be included as part of the pool construction and be installed at the time of final inspection. Pool safety features: barrier, alarms, self-closing latching doors, pool cover.
Supply property STRAP NUMBER (found on upper left corner of property tax statement), property owners name, phone number, address of job, directions to job site and pool value.
When the plans are approved, you will be notified to pick up the permit. (Either by phone, fax or by mail)
Every above ground swimming pool, in-ground pool, hot tub, spa or similar facility shall be enclosed by a fence, wall, screen enclosure or other structure, not less than four (4) feet in height, constructed or installed so as to prevent unauthorized access to the pool. This requires a separate enclosure permit. See ENCLOSURES.
Submit three (3) copies of the following:
1. Plot plan - must include: lot size, setbacks to front, sides and rear property lines from existing structures and proposed pool area, size of pool, dimensions of deck and location of steps, ladder and pool equipment.
2. Cross section and plan view of pool showing steps, ladder, deck details and footing details.
ABOVE GROUND POOLS: (24" and above require a pool permit)
Submit three (3) copies of the following:
1. Plot plan - must include: lot size, setback to front, sides and rear of property lines from existing structures and proposed pool area, size of pool, dimensions of deck and location of steps, ladder and pool equipment.
2. Manufacturer's specifications on how to erect the pool and specifications on self-locking ladders.
3. If a deck is going to be erected around the pool construction details are required. NOTE: If deck is 30 inches or more above the ground level, these plans must be sealed by a Florida registered architect or engineer with compliance statement for the 2010 Florida Building Code.
FEES DUE: (due at time of issuance of permit)
Above ground Pool - $75.00 ***An electric permit is also required***
Change of Contractor - $50.00
Electrical Permit - $75.00
In-ground Pool - $225.00
In-ground Spa - $100.00
Residential Zoning Revision - $25.00
Zoning Review - $25.00
INSPECTIONS: Please use automated system 239-533-8997
1. Pool Retaining Wall/Pile caps (101 inspection on automated system).
2. Pool Steel - structural, including main drain (108 inspection on automated system).
3. Electrical Bonding at time of Pool Steel ( 304 inspection on automated system).
4. Pool Deck - structural (109 inspection on automated system).
5. Electrical Bonding of Pool Deck (304 inspection on automated system).
6. Pool final including the electric (119 inspection on automated system). This inspection should only be called for after the permanent enclosure is in place and an enclosure permit posted.
For Commercial Pools, in addition to 1-6 above, the following are required: Development Services inspection which is requested through letter of Substantial Compliance submitted to permitting counter. Approval from Lee County Health Department.
ABOVE GROUND POOLS:
1. Pool and deck (if applicable) erected, Electrical and Bonding Inspection (Pool Final 119)
This requires a separate permit which must be posted and the permanent enclosure erected before final inspection of the pool.
- Submit three (3) copies of the following:
- Plot plan showing lot size, setbacks to front, sides and rear property lines, any easements on the property, existing buildings, pool area, and dimensions regarding enclosure area. If COMMERCIAL, we must have three (3) sets of approved Development Order.
- Aluminum enclosure - architect or engineered sealed construction drawing. If plans are mastered with Lee County, we will need to know the master number.
- Fence/Rail - detail showing construction, spacing of posts, self locking gates and height.
- Wall - architect or engineered sealed construction drawings.
- Supply property strap number (found on upper left corner of property tax statement), address and directions to job site.
- Submittal fee for plan review is $50.00; zoning review fee is $25.00
- Fees due at time of permit pickup:
Aluminum enclosure - $100.00
Fence - $25.00
Wall - $100.00 min./$0.75 plf
- Required inspections:
Wall Foundation, column, final
Enclosure/Fence/Railing - Final (after erected)
Prior to application to the Permitting Office:
1. The Lee County Health Department requires that the plans for a commercial swimming pool be completed by an engineer and submitted to them for approval.
2. Development Review is required - Show pool house, pool and four (4) feet minimum fence, rail, wall or enclosure.
Submit three (3) sets of the following:
1. Health Department stamped approved plans and provisions
2. Site Plan indicating set backs. (A separate permit is required for enclosure, fence wall or railing) Development Order number which indicates the approved D.O.
Plan Review fee is $50.00; zoning review fee is $25.00
NOTE: All construction must be according to the 2010 Florida Building Code, Wood fences, chain link fences with slats and walls are required to be according to the 2010 Florida Building Code and require engineer sealed construction drawings. Zoning approval is required on commercial pool replacements.
return to the top