Commercial Building Permit Requirements
Click here for a printable version of the Commercial Building Permit Application Requirements
COMPLETED APPLICATION (get the application here)
Plans that are prepared by a Florida registered architect or engineer shall be prepared in compliance with required wind loads and must contain a statement on the plan that the building/structure has been designed according to the 2010 Florida Building Codes. The following information related to wind loads shall be shown on the construction drawings:
1. Ultimate design wind speed and nominal design wind speed
2. Risk category
3. Wind exposure
4. Classification of the applicable enclosure
5. Components and Cladding
6. Goetechnical information
If the construction is located in a coastal area specific to the limitations under The Lee County Land Development Code, Chapter 14, Article II, Division 2, Sea Turtles; also Chapter 6, Article III Coastal Construction Code, and Article IV Flood Hazard Reduction, the architect or engineer shall provide a statement of compliance with those applicable code sections.
If plans are intended to be mastered, the engineer or architect shall indicate by a sealed letter or statement on the plans that he approves of the repetitive use of the plans for permitting or, if a case by case approval (by letter from the architect or engineer) specific to each application is required for permitting.
1. Commercial new construction and additions over 2500 square feet require four (4) sets of the following:
- Site plans to identify location of building.
- 2010 Energy Calcs (revised) signed and sealed by Florida registered architect or engineer.
- Signed and sealed construction drawings.
- Manufacturers cut sheets for impact resistant windows, doors, garage doors and/or overhead doors and shutters. Including installation & design standards, any testing or compliance information available. IF MASTERED, PROVIDE THE LEE COUNTY MASTER #, ALONG WITH THE WINDOW/ DOOR SCHEDULE OR SHUTTER MASTER #
- When applicable (out of a Fire District, requirement for Type of construction, or provision of a Development Order) note compliance with N.F.P.A.13D for fire sprinklers. Plans must show compliance with State of Florida Administrative Code 61G15-32 F. If structure is a Modular Building four (4) sets of Department of Community Affairs approved plans and A valid approval letter. Four (4) sets of signed and sealed foundation plans. Four (4) sets of construction details for the handicap ramp and or stairs.
2. If a WELL is to be used, a copy of the well permit must be submitted at time of application. A final well inspection must be obtained prior to Certificate of Occupancy. If the well is existing, a letter from Natural Resources is required at time of application -- 1500 Monroe St. Ft Myers, Fl. 33901 (239-533-8114)
3. If construction is serviced by a SEPTIC SYSTEM, a copy of the septic permit and perc test must be submitted at time of application. A final septic inspection is required prior to Certificate of Occupancy. If septic is existing, a letter from the Health Department is required stating approval for new structure at time of submittal. -- 2295 Victoria Ave. Ft Myers, Fl. 33901 (239-690-2100)
4. If a project deals with food, your project must be approved by the Department of Business & Professional Regulations Hotels and Restaurants. For more information, please visit www.myflorida.com. A final health inspection is required prior to Certificate of Occupancy. Our plans for construction do not require any approvals from their division.
5. Plan Review fees are due when making application. Plan review fees are based at $0.10 per square foot (minimum $200.00). Commercial building permit fees are calculated at $0.30 psf. of the project with a minimum fee of $300.00.
6. Impact fees are figured by the Impact Coordinator prior to issuance.
7. Additional permits could be required for gas, fire alarms, monitors, sprinkler systems, refrigeration, hoods, suppression, underground tanks and others.
8. Copy of vegetation permit is required before building permit issuance (if required by Development Review.)
9. If construction value is $2,500.00 or more, a Notice of Commencement is required and will need to be recorded with the Lee County Clerk of Court prior to issuance of the building permit. (Notice of Commencement phone number is 239-533-5000.)
ADDITIONS UNDER 2500 SQ. FT. AND INTERIOR REMODELING
1. Interior Remodel/Change of Use requires one (1) site plan with parking layout and four (4) floor plans. Exterior remodels require four (4) site plans with parking layout. Additions require four (4) site plans with parking layout and four (4) floor plans.
2. Four (4) sets of construction plans (interior remodels not necessary to be sealed unless architecturally designed, structural work is being done, or job value exceeds $25,000). All additions require an architect/engineer seal.
3. Information needed is the same as number 2 thru 9 for new construction.
4. If work to be performed is under $2500.00 a letter from owner of property (not the tenant) giving permission for work to be performed is required at time of issuance of permit.
5. Plan review fees for interior remodeling are also based on square footage. At time of submittal we require a minimum $200.00 plan review fee. Plan review for additions are the same as #5.
6. Zoning verification fees are $75.00.
ADDITIONAL FEES THAT MAY BE REQUIRED
||$100 min./$0.03 psf|
||$75 min./$0.20 amp|
||$100 min./$0.03 psf|
|Duct Work Only
|Change of Contractor
||$50 min./$0.01 sf|
return to the top