APPLICATION. Complete and submit a Residential Permit Application.
SITE PLAN. Submit 3 copies of a site plan which shows all of your property lines, all existing structures on the property and illustrates the proposed future location of the shed. The setbacks (distance) need to be shown from all property lines (both sides, front and rear) to the proposed new shed.
- PLANS/PRE-APPROVAL NUMBER. If you will be building a shed, you have two options:
1. Use one of Lee County's Mastered Shed plans, available below:
- Wood Frame Storage Building, slab on grade
- Wood Frame Storage Building
- Masonry Shed (shingle or metal roof option)
2. Or submit 3 copies of engineered shed plans which comply with the current Florida Building Code.
If you will be installing/assembling a pre-manufactured shed you'll need to consider the following before you make your purchase.
- Verify the shed you are purchasing is preapproved by the state, to find this information visit floridabuilding.org and click on Manufactured Buildings. Submit the plan tracking # with your permit application. You must also verify that the shed meets the wind load requirements for Lee County, use the map for risk category I to find the properties wind speed and compare this to the maximum wind speed for the shed. The sheds maximum wind speed must be greater. If the shed does not include anchoring detail (some already include this detail) you will need to submit 3 copies of engineered anchoring detail which comply with the current Florida Building Code in your permit application.
- Some Arrow sheds (not state approved) have been mastered for use in Lee County. These sheds must be installed on engineered concrete footers. Click here for a list of approved Arrow Sheds.
Upon submission of your application, you will be required to pay a $50 plan review fee and $25 zoning review fee. Upon issuance of your permit you will be required to pay a $50 permit fee if you choose a pre-manufactured shed. If you are building a wood frame or CBS shed the permit fee is $0.25 per square feet with a $200 minimum plus an additional $75 fee for a roof permit. Sometimes individuals choose to install a light fixture in their shed, which if you do you will be required to pay an additional $75 electric permit. Review all associated permit fees.